Thursday, June 17, 2010

Resolving A Marriage Dilemna

Disclaimer for the Sake of the Marriage: Handsome is actually a very considerate sports and television watcher as he is married to one with very sensitive ears. He always turns it down when I ask and this is written with a sense of hyperbole. 
 
So I had a post stewing about something that sounds like a swarm of mosquitos. About an incessant drone that has been permeating our house at random hours of the day since June 11.

I was going to complain about the headaches its caused. Talk to you about how I can fund my PTSD therapy through better blogging. And where I can get some of those television-watching headphones that women buy for their husbands on the fly. 

I  tried to talk to the Mr. about what was distressing me, and his only answer was that "its tradition. It's part of the culture. Part of the atmosphere." Like I should have already known. And why on earthy would I be asking?  I honestly think he believes it is fabulous and essential.

Out of desperation, I even took my question and concern to my fellow Softball-watching wives the other evening to see if they could give me some insight as to what it was and how to deal. No one knew. No one could answer. No one, apparently, suffers through cheers and gets another beer when their husband is watching television, because they didn't even know what I was talking about. They hadn't been subjected to it!

But then, during one of the regular television bonding sessions, all of my questions were answered thanks to the super adorable, Michelle Beadle, Who by the way, sounds so much like Andi Anderson, Kate Hudson's character in How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, that I like her all the more!
 
It finally had a name. It is called a vuvuzela and I'm behind the curve by only blogging about it nowEven Prince William has gotten in on the fun.
 
(post script in the middle of the post: La, I'm sure I should have just emailed you! I hope you will still be my friend even though I can't listen to the traditional horn). 
 
And by golly, something like 64% of America was on my side! (even though I can't find that exact poll and percentage right now). But the point is that, more people agreed with me that Vuvuzela's are too loud and should be banned than with Handsome that they are totally essential to the culture and atmosphere of the game. As Handsome just sat there mouth wide-open, with only the words: "I can hit mute next time I watch" I reaffirmed my commitment to television bonding in the form of ESPN (at least every once in a while). 
 
Thus, my questions, my curiosity, my little mini-mute button battle with the Mr. was taken care of by my favorite Sports TV personality! 

I'm here. And I'm still writing,
Photobucket

3 comments:

Brittney Galloway said...

Yeah, I was reading about how the players are having hard times sleeping at night and can't talk to each other on the field its so loud. They did a sound test and it is the loudest known noisemaker known to man, and the sound itself? Not even a note in music. lol

Stephanie M. Page said...

My hubby has been watching on his phone, because we don't have ESPN, if we did we would probably have a few more disagreements and compromises in our marriage!! =)=)

Q, La, and Gooner said...

I forgive you. ;) I LOVE the world cup but those horns, by golly. I think chanting, which IS tradition, these South African horns ARE NOT, is much better. I could do without the horns. Perhaps the crowds would do something less ridiculous like CHANT! Begah.