Thursday, March 5, 2009

It's a Strange Thing Being a Woman.

Strange thing being a woman: Men are born being Mister's their entire life. 
Women are Miss as little girls and young women.
Ms. as they age or I should say become "of age".
Mrs. when they marry.
Ms. when someone isn't sure if they are married.
Ms. sometimes because it is less syllables than Mrs., and people get lazy. 
Mrs. still when widowed. 
Dr., Doctor, The Honorable, The Reverend, many a military title, etc., are other titles that a woman could possibly acquire in her lifetime. (I know this is the same for men, but just wanted to point it out.)
Ms. still, even if they acquire another title, when someone is unsure or unaware of that title. 

Interesting... And this is just "Titles." No wonder some women sometimes struggle with identity issues. 

Anyway, Happy Birthday Mrs. Kelley L.--your first birthday as a Mrs.! I suppose I should have said Happy Birthday Mrs. Rhett, but you know me ;)...I hope you have fun on your trip to Tucson!

2 comments:

jlc said...

My students actually questioned this the other day when I was explaining the diff between Madame and Mademoiselle.

They're like why doesn't Monsieur change.... haha! Men always have it easier. They also don't have to go thru the hassle of the name change.

Kelley said...

you could be like my coworkers and call me Mrs. Stowers and Rhett Mr. Stowers....