- 3 cups rhubarb stalks cut into 1/2 inch pieces (Trim outside stringy layer of large rhubarb stalks; make sure to trim away any and discard of the leaves which are poisonous; trim ends.)
- 1 cup strawberries, stemmed and sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 Tablespoons of quick cooking tapioca
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of grated orange peel
- Unbaked pastry for two-crust 9 inch pie
The instructions say to cut up the strawberries and rhubarb into little-ish pieces. Mix together with the sugar, quick cooking tapioca, salt, and orange peel.
You let this sit for 10 minutes while the oven is pre-heating to 400 degrees. It will get gooey.
I rolled out one of the pre-made Pillsbury piecrusts and floured it just a bit (per package instructions because of the sugary-ness of the pie).
Then you fill the empty crust with the cut up pieces of strawberry and rhubarb mixed with all the other ingredients.
Here you need to trim the edge of the bottom crust. Then you will cover with the second pie crust...
Then you have to press it together, make it pretty and cut slits in the top to let heat escape while cooking.
Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake an additional 30-40 minutes. And cool on a rack.
If you cut it while its hot it will be runny and gooey... but if you wait until it cools, it will stay together a little better and you can enjoy a piece. (I like mine with chocolate ice cream... He likes it with vanilla.)